Links for Dec 2017 - Jan 2018

It's time for another link round-up. I got delayed from Christmas and New Year and trying to catch up on stuff at work. I've taken some new responsibilities so I get less time to goof off there. Anyway here are my picks for interesting or noteworthy links for the last couple of months. Yes I know January isn't done but whatever.


Links for December 2017 - January 2018


Top Story





It's finally happening. After Kakao already launched their English mapping service, Naver is finally going to release their own multi-lingual service. Hope the whole UI gets a refresh too, and it'd be nice if the desktop version got this too. Kakao's English mapping only works in the mobile app. I've noticed though that Google is improving a lot of their English placenames for Korea, slyly through the Local Guides it seems.

I think we're also seeing some of the reason the government didn't want to release detailed map data to Google. Yes, there's the blurring of "sensitive" sites. But I suspect that high-detail map data is more valuable domestically for testing autonomous cars. Korean conglomerates already compete with Google now in phones (Samsung vs. Pixel), streaming video (Naver V / TVcast vs. YouTube), and now cars (Hyundai vs Waymo). See:



Anyway don't take my word for it. Bring on more links.

Tech Stuff



This Korean Life



End of Year Lists You Might Have Missed (Goodbye 2017)



Olympics


What? 




Thanks for reading. See you next month.

Comments