Praise for "Train to Busan" from big names

Randomly I came across this Tumblr post that highlights some big name praise for the Korean zombie film Train to Busan and its director Yeon Sang-ho. I didn't know Stephen King, Guillermo del Toro, and Edgar Wright had enjoyed it so much.

Screencap from Just Another Generic Blog — Train to Busan (2016) 

Here's that post embedded below:

https://yesrazorbladecupcakes.tumblr.com/post/164644510409/train-to-busan-2016


Here are the original tweets he mentioned:






Anyway, I'll let you dig down the rabbit hole to find more. I think this praise is deserved. I highly enjoyed Train to Busan. It felt very satisfying and of course had one of my favorite Korean actors Ma Dong-seok, who isn't actually Korean (by nationality, anyway), playing a big tough softie. I agree it was one of the best zombie films of the past few years.

Of course, there was another train movie that didn't go over so well, at least with government types:
“‘Snowpiercer’ repudiates the market economy and encourages campaigns of social resistance.” This was the “review” of director Bong Joon-ho’s film “Snowpiercer” as reported to the Blue House by the National Intelligence Service (NIS) during the Park Geun-hye administration on Aug. 27, 2013. In place of a star system, “red lines” were drawn. Last Oct. 30, the NIS Reform and Development Committee under chairperson Jeong Hae-gu announced findings from its investigation into a culture and arts blacklist created and implemented by the NIS on order from Park-administration Chief of Staff Kim Ki-choon and others.
“Snowpiercer” labelled as anti-market economy, encouraging social resistance by NIS : Arts & Entertainment : News : The Hankyoreh

All it encouraged me to do was wonder why I spent two hours watching it. So to recap my personal feelings:

  • Train to Busan 👍
  • Snowpiecer 👎


Comments